Oh hey look, I’m Thinking Out Loud on a Thursday… Now I’m doing it right! 😉
(ps. If you’re sitting there wondering what I am talking about, check out Running With Spoons to find out more about this great blogging opportunity
excuse to ramble on about a few key topics in your week.)
I’ll just get to it then…
– I am exhausted. Yes, I know we all are really, but I haven’t slept very much over the past 4 – 5 days and it’s starting to get to me. I can’t seem to sleep through the night, I toss & turn, and wake up A LOT. Not really sure what’s going on, but I need to figure it out fast. If you’re wondering, yes I do drink caffeine. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and then one decaf coffee later in the morning/early afternoon, so I don’t think I’m consuming that much. I might have to switch out the caffeinated coffee to test it… but, I’m going to wait a few more days to see what happens. It’s puzzling to me because I’m running & working out more as my marathon training has ramped up + I have magnesium before I go to bed. I guess I will have to see if this is just a minor thing or if it lasts longer. Either way, I’m sleepy!
– Somewhat related… maybe I need to look at my nutrition and make some adjustments. My weekly mileage isn’t extremely high yet, but I have amped up the runs and workouts and it may be time to add in more foods to keep my energy up. I generally eat quite healthy with a few small treats here and there (wings & nachos, hello!), but I may start to need more protein and possibly some supplements as training goes on.
– Back in 2013 I wrote this post and submitted it to the Elephant Journal. It was a goal of mine & it actually came through and now here I am 3 years later finding myself in the same situation that the post refers to. At the time I was working with an amazing cause called Power of Movement and I was surrounded by yoga and great teachers pretty much every day. I had completed my yoga teacher training in 2009 and sort of got away from teaching as I moved to Calgary to Toronto and back and lost my way a little bit. After this article, I did not go back to teaching. I got sucked up into my admin job world and didn’t pursue additional steps to get back into teaching. Why? Well, because I actually have a huge fear of speaking in front of groups of people. I want to teach yoga/fitness and this is my major fear. Crazy, right? I think so. It’s kind of ironic that I’m back in this place that’s mentioned in the post, thinking again about how I want to get out there and teach classes, have fun, and inspire people… but I’m afraid. There’s something to admit, eh? The next step is to really consider what I should do to move beyond this fear. To put myself out there. To go after what I want.
– Can I just say that I’ve been enjoying this mild Calgary winter so far? It’s helped my running by allowing me to get outdoors to train more & I think it’s also kept some of my seasonal affective disorder at bay. I’ve been through a lot over the past 2 months, so I’m glad that the winter blues haven’t really been thrown into the mix. This city is going through some tough times as well (economy down, job loss, etc.), so it’s nice to have the mild weather allowing people to be outdoors and staying active during this downturn.
– Anyone else scoping out spring running gear yet? Mild or tough winter, I think it’s fun to check out the new colours and patterns coming out for the spring. Now, to just keep my wallet in my purse and to only purchase what I need. (New Saucony Guides are in my future because I need them for training 😉 )
What’s got you thinking out loud on this fine Thursday?