It never fails. During every single training run something happens around/to me which really makes me angry. I can be running along in my own little bliss and then BAM! Another human is doing something that really pushes my buttons. I know this happens to all of us, so I wanted to share a few of my training run pet peeves with you. If you’re excited, read on my run-loving friends!
My Running Pet Peeves (not a complete list 😉 )
– Drivers who don’t look both ways. Yes drivers, you also have to look both ways when pulling out of a driveway or street. I’d rather not be hit by your vehicle because of your laziness/incompetence. (This also includes drivers who are texting and don’t look up before proceeding.)
– Drivers with full, dark tinted windows. Maybe I am old fashioned, but why do you need this? Do you think it makes you look oh so cool? Well, I can’t see your face and which way you’re looking, so I’m going to be extra slow using the crosswalk in front of you, mmmkay?
– Litter. Why the hell do so many people litter? Be nice to your freaking city and just stop it. It really does not take that much effort to carry your garbage home or to the next waste bin on the street.
– Pedestrians who won’t step to the side to let you pass. You see me running towards you and you still won’t move to the side to let me pass. What is your issue? I’m not going to run in the mud or a snowbank for you, so we’ll probably end up smashing into each other. I won’t be sorry. (extra points for people who just HAVE to stay side-by-side)
– People who don’t shovel their sidewalks. This should be illegal, in my opinion. Stop being lazy and clear a small path… or at least throw some salt/sand down. Much better than having a walker/runner cursing and screaming after slipping and falling on your property.
– Drivers that honk at you. Stop trying to scare the shit out of me.
– People at the bus stop who give me the craziest looks while I do hill training. Actually nevermind, this is just funny more than anything. 🙂
– Long traffic lights. Such a runner’s high buzz kill. And, occasionally makes my legs think that the run is over… not fun getting back into the pace again.
– People riding their bicycles on the sidewalks. SHARE THE SIDEWALK OR GET ON THE DAMN ROAD. This one is a huge pet peeve because I am tired of bike riders bullying me on the sidewalks.
– Dogs not on leashes. Look, I’m sure your huge Doberman with the big, sharp teeth is very friendly, but I don’t know that so how about you keep your dog on a leash in public spaces. Thx. (Oh, and please pick up after your dog. C’mon man!)
– Runners who don’t appear to be dressed for the weather. I know everyone’s body is different, but the running skirt and bra top with compression sleeves in -10 Celsius weather – are you really warm enough? I guess you still look fast and that’s what matters, right?
– Runners who don’t wave. I understand that this one might be a personal preference/community thing, but still, when you stare right at me and I give a little wave, could you wave back? It’s nice to be polite sometimes. Just a thought. 🙂
– Running uphill, into the wind, on a slanted sidewalk. Enough said.
What, my dear readers, would you add to this list?